Patients have had legal access to medical cannabis in Canada since 2001, under the MMAR (Medical Marijuana Access Regulations). Since then, Health Canada cannabis policy has been updated several times, most recently in October 2018 with The Cannabis Act.
To access legal medical cannabis, all patients must take the following steps:
- Patients must obtain authorization from an authorized, licensed health practitioner by the way of a medical document.
- Patients must register their medical document with the licensed producer of their choice by submitting the original copy, usually by mail or courier. At CCC this step and associated paperwork is handled by your cannabis counsellor.
- Upon completion of registration with the licensed producer, patients receive notification that they may order medication directly from their chosen licensed producer.
- Patients place their own orders directly with the licensed producer. This can be done by phone or online.
- Medication is then shipped from the licensed producer directly to patients by Canada Post or courier. Packages must be signed for by an adult upon delivery.
More information can be found here.